Sunday, May 4, 2008

LCD & Plasma TV

Hi,

Have you ever noticed that the LCD and Plasma TVs in the showrooms seems to show very sharp images and beautiful displays?

I have bought 2 Sharp LCD TVs not too long ago and I do not seem to get the same type of performance or display as in the showroom.

In a recent visit to Courts Tampines, while waiting for my shuttle bus back to Bedok MRT station, I started to talk about it with a saleperson there. He was very frank and told me that all the LCD and Plasma TVs in the showrooms are connected with High Definition(HD) facility and playing Blueray DVDs which we typically do not have at home.

Ah ha.... I suspected it as I am not on HD as there are not that many programmes being offerred now and I have to pay more for it too! Same for Blueray DVDs and players though prices could have dropped a little by now.

When a technician came to repair my old faithful Sony 29" TV ( bought when I got married..... that means more than 20 years now! ), he commented that Sharp LCD TVs are the better ones. He also shared with me an interesting phenomenon...... that if we have too many metallic structures near the TV ( CRT or LCD type ), it may affect the colour of the picture due to the influence of magnetic field.

How this came about?

He did a general servicing of the TV motherboard and when he put it back, the colour ran and he used a special gadget to neutralise the magnetic field. He asked me if I put any speaker on the top of the TV and I told him that I used to put a central speaker there. Apparently, it has affected the magnetic field and since I removed it, the colour ran. That's why most speakers claim that they have a magnetic shield but may not be effective.

He advised me not to put any speakers too near the TV. He shared with me one incident whereby a new LCD TV was installed but the colour ran and after much testing, the vendor of the TV could not find anything wrong and proved it by placing the TV in another part of the house. Eventually, he was called in and he found a few metallic structures at the back wall where the TV was placed. Since the TV has to be placed there, they tried to neutralise the magnetic field by placing magnets around that area. Does it make sense or he is bullshitting me?

Anyway, so weary of the above....

David

No comments: