Monday, May 5, 2008

Gardening - Lawn Repair

Hi,

I am now in a project to repair the backyard and the lawn in the frontyard too.

Luckily, there are a few nurseries near my house so shopping for sand and carpet grass.


Let talk about the backyard first. We found a big rat hole and, my maid and I cleared up that area and found some rocks or broken bricks to fill up the hole. I poured some cement over it.

BTW, if you have read my earlier posts last year, we have caught about 10 rats todate.










I bought 4 packets of lawn sand and 4 strips of carpet grass ( 5ft x 1ft at S$7 each ), and repair the backyard as due to rain, wear and tear, attacks by weed..... all the carpet grass have died or over-ran by weeds or mosses...?



I checked the Internet and consulted the people at the nursery on how to lay the carpet grass before I embarked on it.

Surprisingly, I was told to get cow grass instead as it is tougher and the roots are quite compact so very little weeds are able to grow in-between them unlike carpet grass. It is about double the price of carpet grass ! A strip of 2ft x 1 ft is S$5.50 after special discount for me!

Anyway, I am also looking into repairing the lawn in the frontyard as after > 10 years, the snad have sunk and it is undulating now. Some patches of carpet grass is dead.


I bought lawn sand for the edges and a strip of drainage cells to cover the edges to prevent my dogs from digging. Realigned the pots of plants in a neat row.

To excavate the front lawn and re-turf it will set me back by S$600 based on 2 quotes... So I think I will try to do it myself if I am successful with the backyard repair. Not necessary going to be very much cheaper by DIY but I can take my time and do some gardening etc.... to relax a bit instead of hiding in the house, in front of the PC or TV in the evenings....ha...ha...ha...

Will keep you posted on the progress.....

David

No comments: