Saturday, February 28, 2009

Do You Grind Your Teeth When You Sleep?

Hi,

When I was having my dental check-up in January this year, the dentist asked me if I grind my teeth when I sleep.

I was quite puzzled as this is the first time that I am asked by a dentist....

Apparently, she could see that there is some wear and tear due to possible grinding of my teeth!

Yes, I used to grind my teeth when I was in my late 20s and 30s. I remember hearing my wife commenting about it then.

So I google about it recently, out of curiosity.

Guess what I found?

There is a name for it.......Bruxism!

The cause is likely to be due to stress....!

I am not surprised as I was near the peak of my career then and work was indeed stressful.

I believe this is quite common as I have heard people talking about grinding of teeth in their sleep.

So if you are now experiencing it, I strongly suggest that you look into the possible cause and try to do something about it.

Not only for your mental health but also, for your dental health.

Take care!

David

No comments: