Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Sports Medals

Hi,

Must blow my own trumpet a bit now.....!

I found my sports medals and tried my best to polish them as they have tarnished quite a bit..... after all, I won them when I was 14 years old..!!!

I have put their photos in a slideshow below.

I was the Soccer Captain for the Under 14 team and we won the Silver medal at Penang state level.

I was also part of the 4x400m school relay team and we won the Silver medal too. This was a memorable event for me as I ran very well during the heats and one of the 2 coaches came to encourage me prior to the final run. I was too excited to do my best again that I overdid it and fainted once I passed the baton to the next runner, I was the first runner. One of my senior runners told me that I was like floating in the air during my last 100m dash. I missed collecting the medal myself as I was still under medical care and recovering there.

What hurt most was that the coach avoided me after that, instead of comforting me or asked me how I was feeling after having recovered from the fainting spell. After all, I was carried out on a stretcher and got attention from a doctor.

I retired from active sports after that year and was more involved in CCAs like Photographic Society and General Library where I was the Chairman for both of them. I heard from my classmates that the other coach commented that I played hard to get and was waiting for the coaches to invite me back to the relay team etc.... I could not be bothered as the coaches have never invested training on me and I trained on my own but when they needed runners, they came to look for me. I was actually an incidental runner being at the right place at the right time then.

Anyway, I am glad I was involved in sports and soccer teams as it was fun and good to be involved in team events. Exposure was good except that I was not given proper guidance but it was self motivated, unlike now where Jason have proper training and coaches in his school. He also got parental support too.... my parents have never see me run or played in any of the school games like soccer, volleyball and fencing.
Yes, I represented my school in volleyball and fencing too!

Anyway, I am proud of Jason's involvement in his CCAs and he is definitely doing better than me in terms of the medals that he is winning....ha..ha...ha...

But I cannot 'tahan' so must show off my medals too so here they are......
( Pls click on 'X' on the top right hand corner if the slideshow is not activated. )

No comments: