Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Customer Service

Hi,

I sent my mobile for servicing as the FM radio could not work last week. This is my second time to the service centre within a year.

The service centre called me on Fri afternoon to inform me that it is ready for collection as it was supposed to be ready for collection on Mon after 3pm. Hmmmm...fast and efficient service?

Unfortunately, I was too busy with my family activities so I went on Mon early afternoon instead.

When I tested the mobile over the counter, I was not convinced that it was fixed as I could not received any radio stations and the method of detecting the radio station was not working! The service person tried but could not get it working too so he went back to the technician for help. He returned and told me that the signals were not strong in the building and his auto-detection of the radio channels was the right way ( I was telling myself what bullshit he was talking about as I did it on my son mobile of the same brand but different model and I got it working that way before..!!! HE said different models so different methods...!!!).

Anway, I knew that I was at their mercy so I agreed to try it outside the building as no point arguing with them. They could make my life miserable and 'screw up' my mobile by fixing the radio and conveniently messing up other functions..... Anyway, I need to run some errands nearby.

Surprisingly, after persistently fiddling it a few times ..... I got the radio channels using my method!!! So I admitted that I could be wrong and then listen to the mobile radio while going to Tampines Mall and White Sands in Pasir Ris. I switched it off when I was in the library.

When I finished my chores, I switched on the mobile radio and it was dead like before. So I decided to go back to the service centre since it is along the way home.
I decided to be nice so that I hope to be serviced appropriately and no point to be nasty and complained though deep inside, I was not too happy about it as I was running late for my other tasks at home that afternoon.

Another service person attended to me and I explained that it is not working again. She took it back to the same technician ( I could see the person as she sat near the door ). This time she looked into it instead of telling me that the signals were not strong in the building.....!!! I waited for 15 minutes and it was fixed. The service person was polite but not apolegetic for the inconvenience caused. I was also nice though a bit boiling inside but I decide to control myself. When I tested it again, I could detect the radio channels immediately and some signals though may not be so strong or clear..... so what was the earlier 'bullshit' about the signals were not strong in the building...!!! And my method of searching the channels worked too...!!!
I enquired innocently whether it was the setting that I could have messed up and she told me that it was some faulty component!!!

Conclusion :

1. It must be my unlucky day as my prior experience at the same service centre was better.

2. Though I was not happy and want to give them a piece of my mind, I know it will not help me so I decided to be nice. Hopefully, they feel guilty about it and be nice to me too!

Well, I think it worked as they could have still insisted that it was ok or just asked me to come back in a few days' time. Or worst still, if I am nasty, they may fixed the radio and messed up another function...??? Yes, it was reported in the papers some time ago on such actions.

I was actually using a very old model mobile with no MP3 or camera features, just B&W for calls and sms. Managed to get by those few days with it, though!

So are we paying a lot for the latest mobile just to look cool or peer pressure.....? I do not use a lot of functions like Internet surfing, emails functions, Bluetooth,....!

Do you have such similar experiences? Care to share it with us?

David

No comments: