Thursday, March 27, 2008

4D, TOTO, Lottery

Hi,

I am sure we have, at one time or another, tried our luck on 4D, TOTO and Lottery occassionally.

So are we all gamblers?

NO! I do not think so and here is why ... as I have been observing the people, myself inclusive, who are queuing up to buy the elusive winning ticket.

1. The Habitual Gambler

This group of people will play big and will not fail to buy their betting tickets regularly; eg betting hundreds of dollars every outing. It is an addiction irrepective whether they are winning or can afford it.

2. The Hopeful Winner

This group of people will try their luck and hope that the winnings will solve their financial problems; average bets like S$10 and never more than S$50 as they cannot really afford it. But this give them some hope to their problems.

3. The Entertainment Folks

This group of people, mainly retirees or old folks and majority of us I think, buy small bets and just take it as another source of entertainment; like spending $9 going to the movies or a packet of chicken rice. The retirees or old folks have nothing to look forward to so checking the results is something exciting for them and nothing to lose as long as they play small like S$1 or S$2 with the pocket money they get from thier kids.

I used to think that my parents squandered the pocket money we gave them on such bets but then I realised that it is entertainment to them as the bets are small and they have something to look forward to on those few days of the week. Also, some hope and excitement to win some $$ even if small, according to my parents.

I shared my thoughts with some of my friends over lunch last week and there is one more category.

4. The Smart Gamblers

Why?

Firstly, they are not die hard gamblers like the first group but they play smart by accummulating all the small bets and throw them into one outing; ie instead of placing small bets weekly, they will save them and just play once a month with the total amount so it is a case of winning big else no fun winning small. So when they feel lucky, they will just place it and either lose or win big. That's why I called them smart gamblers.

Do I make sense?

Well, just food for thought and I must make a disclaimer that I am not supporting gambling.

However, I do have a relative that keep on winning on almost most of the numbers that they bought. Their good luck came at a certain age and thay cannot share their good fortune; ie if they tell us the numbers to buy, they will not come out. The good luck is within their immediate family only.

Anyway, I believe the best way to make money is still to have an honest living or job and you will be rewarded for your hard work.

No comments: