Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sitex PC Show 08

Hi,

As usual, I always look forward to such PC shows throughout the year to see what are being offerred and also time my purchases at such shows.

So what did I buy at this Sitex 08?

I helped my Philipino housekeeper buy a notebook to bring home next year.

I myself bought a Canon film scanner as I have a lot of baby photos of Jason captured on film as digital cameras were not available then.

I also bought 100 pieces of CD-R blank CDs at $22.00 . Yes, I am still using CDs besides DVDs.

Other than that, my wife and I signed for a few Credit Card accounts, etc..... as it was convenient and there were giving some free gifts too... like steam iron, bag, earpiece, etc....

One FREE account I signed up was MediaRing account so that I can call my siblings on my PC but on their land lines in Australia. No charge for these calls. I am handy with my PC and notebook but they are still using the phones for communication so good solution for us. Made a call to my brother and he commented that it was very clear.

I was there for 3 days...!

Day 1 was to collect the notebook brochures for evaluation. Came across Canon's offer on the film scanner for $179 + a free wireless mouse! It is being sold at $205 and no free gift at retail stores.
But no stock, so I was asked to go back on Day 2....!

Day 2, we went to buy the notebook after shortlisting Acer and NEC based on price and specifications. She chose NEC. But still no stock for my Canon film scanner!

Day 3 was Sat. So my dear wife went with me too. Finally, got my Canon film scanner + free wireless mouse! And we were stuck there longer than expected after getting caught in registering for FREE accounts etc for free gifts...ha..ha....

We were also looking at VAIO notebooks for a friend too!

The crowd was growing day by day......

Though it is well known that the prices would have dropped a bit more due to competition on the last day, we rather buy what we wanted than rushed with the Sun evening crowd! Also, the vendors prefer to sell the stock than having to transport them back to ther shops or warehouse.

We were at the show just after 30 minutes of it being opened on Sat and it was already a huge crowd.

I can never understand how some couples go to such shows with a baby in a pram. We already have difficulty walking without bumping into the crowd!

BTW, it is no longer really a PC show as there were Banks, Security firms, Home Entertainment equipment, cameras, etc..... Anything goes including Cash Converter too!

I look forward to the next one in Feb/Mar 09.

Happy Shopping for Christmas!

David

No comments: