Sunday, November 2, 2008

Singaporeans are Gracious Lot!

Hi,

I was taking a bus from Marine Parade to Orchard Rd yesterday and was offerred a better standing position in the bus.

Yes! Not a seat but a better standing place in the bus by a matured lady.

Some of you knew that I have a bad left knee for many years. I was wearing a knee guard and in bermudas yesterday. I was almost thrown off my balance when the bus moved and I was standing sideways near the driver seat.

This lady offerred me her standing place which allowed me to lean against a padded cushion behind the driver's seat and I have a better steady stance. I supposed she noticed my bad knee since I was in shorts. I thnk her for it and she was very polite about it.

When I was taking my 80+ years old father out during his recent visit here, someone would offer him his seat whether we were taking a MRT or bus.

Recently, it was also reported that a school boy gave up his seat to an elderly woman in the bus and a foreign visitor was so impressed by his gesture.

Again, it was reported that school children are more generous when coming to donate some money to charity or people 'begging' for money along the streets.

I am also proud to say that Jason has been brought up to be generous and chivalrous about such things.

Of course, there are always some 'bad apples' that spoil the whole image or give us a bad impression.

But I do believe most Sigaporeans especially the young ones are a gracious lot, thanks to the parents and school teaching them the correct values or principles in life.

Have a good weekend!

David

No comments: