Friday, October 17, 2008

Singapore Community Libraries

Hi,

I am quite a frequent user of our community or public libraries; from the one at Pasir Ris-White Sands to Bishan.

I borrow books for my research on Internet Marketing research, Jason and even my maid ( for her grooming course etc ). I also used the facility at Bedok library where there are specific tables near power points for my notebook and wireless access to the Internet too ( IDA Wireless ).

What is surprising to me was there is always a queue every morning!

Here is a photo taken of Bedok library recently.



I was curious so I follow the people especially the older folks.....

Guess why the queue?

The older folks are rushing in for a good spot and to read the daily newspaper... they form the bulk of the crowd.

The students are there to study for their exams.

A few with notebooks rushed in to go for the tables near the power points as there are a few of them only but sometimes occupied by people who are just sitting there to read only.

I am one of those that need power for my notebook unless it is fully charged and I am not staying longer than 1.5 hours. However, I do not bother to queue but try to turn up as early as possible else too bad..lor!

These are the power sockets for notebook users, next to a few tables. However, you will find people sitting on the carpeted floor next to any available power point to hook up their notebook, especially students.

As usual, there are always ugly users in the library. Sad to say, the uncles and aunties who answer their mobiles and speak loudly in their dialects ( maybe they are a bit deaf...?). A few will reserve their seats and disappear for quite a while .....?



This elderly man reserved his seat and deprieve one user from usig the power point! So inconsiderate and he was away for so long too!

Free air-con and comfortable sofa so it is fully used by the senior citizens... Occassionally, you may hear some snoring too...ha...ha....though you are not suppose to sleep in the library.

Some parents think it is a playground and their children are let loose....sigh!

A group of young girls occupied the whole table next to me and was talking and giggling aloud so I sheeeee... them and they quiet down a bit.

When I was in Bishan library yesterday afternoon, I even saw a woman watching a movie on her DVD player hooked to a power point. She was so comfortable in the single sofa chair. A few seats away was a man having his afternoon nap.

So there you are, our typical library users in a nutshell....

No comments: