Thursday, October 9, 2008

Knee Pain - Osteoarthritis (OA)

Hi,

I did a MRI scan on my problem left knee this week to review my current condition as I have one done in Dec 2005 when my knee was locked for about an hour. I have to call for an ambulance to take me to Raffles Hospital even though I was only at Bugis Junction Foodcourt basement!

Also, after attending a talk on Back and Knee Pain 2 weekends ago, organised by Strait Times - Mind Your Body, I was keen to know more of my knee condition as I was not happy with the previous consultant orthopaedic surgeon treatment years ago.

I still experience some pain when I walked too long; eg window shopping with my dear wife or browsing in the PC Shows.....

In short, the left knee is slightly bent or bowed and I walk with a slight limp especially when it is painful. I definitely have OA and there was a spur growing on the inner right side and very slight swelling which causes the occassional pain. The swelling is like tears when your eyes get irritated, a good analogy used by the doctor.

Importantly, I do not need any surgery or even pain killer and I can continue with my current lifestyle; exercise through walking or swimming, manage my weight and no impact sports like basketball, soccer,....

The doctor recommended me a special knee brace and it is going to cost around S$1,000 to maintain the knee joint. I have yet to try it as the salesperson will have to make a house call to show it to me as it is not readily available in retail shops and sold through the hospital. I guess it is a small price to pay if it helps me maintain my knee joint and prolong its lifespan as there is a strong chance that I will need a knee replacement, as the wear and tear gets worse with time.

So my friends, do not take your knees for granted..... if it starts to make a clicking sound when you bend your knees, it is a sign of wear and tear of the cartilage already. Listen to your body and not ignore its sending some sort of signal to you... for your attention.

Take care!

David

No comments: