Wednesday, July 16, 2008

2 Boys Saved A Drowning Old Man in Singapore River

Hi,

Recently, it was reported that an old man fell into the Singapore River in the evening.

2 boys in their teens jumped into the river and rescued the old man while another girl also helped from the riverbank by hanging onto a plastic sheet that was thrown to the boys.

Luck was with them and the old man recovered without any major injury and the boys became heros. I am proud of them.

However, there was also another side of the story that was reported and I brought it to Jason's attention so that he can make an informed decision if he is in such a similar situation as the boys.

1. The boy said that they did not hesitate to jump into the river in darkness as their main concern was to save the old man but also admitted that when they touched the water, they suddenly realised the possible danger that they were facing as it was dark and the river was deeper than than they thought. Also, they started to fell tired too but luckily, they told themselves to remain calm and managed to hang onto the plastic sheet thrown to them until help arrived.

Upon reflection, they could have ended drowning themselves if they had not remained calm and managed to hang onto the plastic sheet.

To be honest, I think I would not have done what the boys did. Though I can swim but I am scare of the darkness and the unknown depth of the river, and I am likely to panic too! Similarly, that is likely to be the reasons that many people, who were watching from the bridge but did not jump in like the boys. Also, I have to think of my family too and not take such risks.

2. The girl complained that she asked for help to hold onto the plastic sheet as she alone was struggling but no spectators came forward to help her.

In this case, I would have helped her if I am aware of her cries for help.

As part of the news reported, a psychologist was interviewed on the crowd behaviour that evening. He commented that there is no right or wrong as the spectators have their reasons for not jumping into the river. That's why the boys are considered heros that night and not all of us can be such heros.

Well, I rather do it only if I am confident than a dead hero ... eg. save the old man but I drowned in the process. I owe it to my family who still needs me at this moment.

Food for thoughts......

No comments: