Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Friend 'Serving Time' or In and Out of Prison Weekly

Hi,

I just met up with a friend that has been in and out of prison 3 times a week, for lunch last week.

Or he even said that he tells his friends that he is " serving time " jokingly...?

So before you jump into the wrong conclusion on the company that I have been keeping.......!

He was an-ex colleague of mine when I was working for one of the local banks, OUB.

Ah ha...... some of you even knew him too or also keeping in touch with him just like me.

So who is this person?

He is none other than Siew who is doing some voluntary work, providing counselling services to the prisoners......

I salute him for his committments to his cause and it takes special people to do social work of any kind.

It was also reported in the papers when he mentioned that some of those in jail took such an experience to wake them up and even regretted not listening to their parents or wishing that their parents should have been tougher with them when they were growing up.

Through my few lunch or coffee sessions with Siew in Funan IT Mall ( ie we like to meet there in case you think we met in the prison....ha..ha....), I came to the conclusion that the family nucleus ( ie the parents ) make or break the family. It is important that the parents communicate openly and discuss what is best for the family especially their children.

Finally, I salute all the social workers out there for their commitmments and and sacrifices in helping those in need.

No comments: