Thursday, May 5, 2011

iPhone Hung But Recovered

My dear wife's iPhone 3GS hung when I was updating the software through itunes on the PC, caused by a restart of the PC when the installation or upgrade of the software.


I pressed the button on the top to do a reset but it did not work.


I surfed the Internet to find solutions but none of them work and I dare not try some of them too, in case I made the problem worst and the shop may not want to honour the warranty.


So I went to bed and let the iPhone as it was , as it could not be switched off.


The following morning, the iPhone ran out of battery so I started to charge it.


Apparently, this triggered some sort of reset and I was prompted to link the iPhone to itune for recovery or restoration.


I was indeed so happy and managed to get the iPhone restored with the last back-up.

It is back to working status and the latest software was updated too.

Hooray!

Lessons learned:


- When updating the software on the iPhone thro' itunes on the PC, do not multi-task so as to interrupt the software upgrade process


- Backup your iPhone thro' itunes on your PC ( a few of my friends do not sync their iPhones with itunes on their PC or do not know how )


One interesting thing that I observed from this incident.... I put my wife sim card into an old Sony Ericssion mobile while I was trying to solve the problem and she struggling with it as she is so used to the finger touch interface on the iPhone...ha....ha....


I have used other smart phone and I must admit that iPhone is in a class of its own.


I should consider getting an iPhone 4 when my mobile contract expires at the end of this year....

David

No comments: