Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Coach Journey

Hi,

My wife and I decided to take a short break to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia while Jason was in Ipoh himself. Since Jason has travelled up to Malaysia by coaches twice this school holidays, we decided to experience it too as we always fly up to Penang.

Honestly, I was a bit excited as I have never taken such a coach and do not quite know what to expect especially the comfort area as I am a bit spoilt since I rather fly or cruise...ha..ha.....

So we went for a package that covers the coach trip and a hotel stay of 3 nights at Berjaya Time Square. Importantly, we wanted the coach to drop us off and pick us up at the hotel for convenience since we are not familiar with KL.

I like to share with you my coach journey and I will do more postings on the other aspect of my holiday in KL.

It was our second time going to Golden Mile Complex to catch the coach early in the morning. Though we were there 2 nights ago to see Jason off to Ipoh for his school leadership conference.

We were not very comfortable as it is a popular place frequent by the Thais and if you go inside the complex ( we went in for the toilets and to look for something last minute for Jas that evening ), you may think you are in Thailand as you see so many of the Thai people, their shops and music blaring at you due to the karoake or club there.

The travel offices are all on the front ground floor but there are no proper place for the passengers waiting for their coaches. So if you are too early or the coach is delayed, you will just have to stand outside along the passageway. Jas coach was delayed by an hour that evening.

Luckily, we were on time and there was already a queue at the check-in counter and no delay by the coach. We boarded our coach immediately and it left on time.

As it was called a SVIP 26 seater coach, we thought it should be reasonably comfortable. Well, this is entry level coach I think so do not be fool by the word, SVIP!

This was a double decker coach whereas the one taken by Jason was a single decker. The coach we took for our return trip was a single decker and slightly more comfortable.

One of my concern was that there was no safety belt on the seats! Also, no toilet in the coach too!

However, if you pay more ( not sure how much more ), there are 1st class coaches and you can get sofa-like single seat with a console and headset! There was a coach with a hostess too!

But your coach will still stop at the same places like Yong Peng where the food was not great so it is more of a toilet break and if you are hungry, then eat something like Malay chicken rice or fisball noodle but mainly Malay food.

The overall time from the boarding of the coach to disembarking at the destination was 5 hours but the return trip took 6 hours instead! This include rest stop and immigration checks along the way.

I bought a travel pillow to support my back as I have a bad lower back. Listening to MP3 music also helps. The scenery was not that appealing after some time but I rather travel in the day than at night as most of the accidents happened late at night!

So here is a slideshow of my coach journey and I will write a bit more on my stay in KL later.

(Pls click on the 'X' on the top right-hand corner of the slideshow if display is blank.)


No comments: