Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thorn In My Thumb

Last Friday, I was cutting down a bouganvilla plant that has over grown and reached the top of our awning in the backyard.

It is a thorny plant.

I was a bit too ambitious and one of the big branches fell towards me though I was using my left hand to hold it while I was using my right hand to saw it.

I lost my balance and in the process of steadying myself, I somehow came down from the chair I was standing on and luckily, I did not step on any of the thorny branches on the ground. But it happened so fast that the falling bracnhes must have brushed my hands.

I could feel a cut or two on both hands. I thought I cold have gotten it from the wire fence and I could also see a puncture hole or two made by the thorns....!

I could have gotten it worse when I think back on the incident; eg more deep cuts and also stepped on a thorny branch on the ground....!

Anyway, whan I cleaned up and took a shower, I could feel the water running over more cuts on my hands and even my right foot....!

I noticed a deep cut on my left thumb and it seems to have a small thorn inside it.

I took a needle from my sewing kit and tried to dig it out but it was pretty deep and the cut was a bit too deep. It was too painful to go further so I was prepared to have the thorn embedded in my thumb.

A week later, my thumb was still sore and the cut was still open, much to my surprise.....? But the skin seem not to be sore or sensitive so I decided it was telling me to have another go at digging out the thorn.


Guess what....?


I persisted in digging deeper and suddenly some liquid came out..... I think it is some sort of pus in formation so I took a tissue to squeeze out all of it.

And the thorn popped out, just like squueezing your pimple...know what I mean...?



After that, eventhough the cut was still opened but the pain was minimal.

So it looked like the body was rejecting the foreign item in my thumb and I think it caould get swollen with pus if I had not removed the thorn.

Phew.....


Just to give you an idea on how big the bouganvilla plant, here is a photo of the branches I have to saw to bring it down.


David

No comments: