Friday, June 26, 2009

My First Budget Flight To Penang

Hi,

The budget airlines like Air Asia, JetStar, Tiger,..... are now flying to Penang so good for me as I always fly back home to see my parents.

Surprisingly, they are very competitive and you should check all their schedules and pricings on the Internet.

I was a bit worry about their strict rule on having one hand carry bag not more than 7kg and I decided to pay online $2 for check-in luggage of 15kg, for this particular budget airline.

However, I noticed that they are not strict about the hand carry luggage when I flew but then I would not dare to take a chance as 1 kg could cost me S$8, so I was told by the Call Centre and their T&C.

So I weighed my luggage at home and flew with 5kg hand luggage and 8kg check-in luggage.

So what are the differences between a normal and budget flight?

Firstly, the price is the main factor but it is wise to check the prices when you do your booking online. For example, I wanted to return on Tue but it cost me more than if I left on Wed instead so I decide to stay one more day in Penang home.

Do not believe the prices advertised in the papers!

My budget flight left from Changi Terminal 1 and not the budget terminal. We get to use the aero-bridge and walked right into the plane.

Since it it a budget flight, do not expect frills and definitely no pampering on you by the flight crew though they were smiling and nice.

Upon entering the aircraft, I can feel that it is simple and no effort in having a nice decor; ie the seat are black in PVC or cheap leather. Space between you and the front seat is same though you can pay more for some of the spacious seats! You can see their pantry and the cockpit too when the door was left open.

It is a smaller aircraft; 3 seats on each side of the plane. The seats were a bit hard, no pillow for the head or lower back but tolerable.

No hot towels to wipe your face or hands. No meals unless you have ordered on-line or prepared to buy it in flight. One bottle of mineral water is around 4 or 5 Ringgit.

No newspapers but I always bring my own so no problem.

But upon arrival in Penang, no aerobridge so we have to walk down the plane onto the tarmac and then up to the arrival hall so quite a bit of walking and not convenient at all. Guess they are saving on airport costs...?

For short flight to Pg at 1.5 hour flight time, I can accept this budget flight.

I just read the papers and rest with my eyes closed or meditate.

I will be flying back to Pg again but on another budget flight so let's see if the standards are the same.

For those who can accept it as a transport from point A to point B, I guess it is ok as it is definitely cheaper than normal flight but the timings may be restrictive; eg one flight a day only.

I strongly advise you to go to all the budget airline sites and do a booking to see the schedule and prices before confirming your flights.

Happy flying....

David

No comments: