Monday, September 8, 2008

Rainstorm in Penang

Hi,

Just flew back from Penang yesterday afternoon.

While Singapore may be having some sporadic rain during the day over the past week, it was raining non-stop on Sat and Sun in Penang.

There were flood, landslide and trees fallen down onto the road. We were partly drenched while having supper at Gurney Drive hawker centre, one of the famous tourist spot.

We only felt the impact of it when we took a taxi back to our hotel along the beach, Batu Ferringhi, on Sat evening. The taxi was not able to send us back and we have to u-turn back to Gurney Plaza shopping mall as the only road up there was blocked by a landslide and fallen tree.

As this taxi does not have a radio, he has no update on the situation but he painted a bleek picture that it will take hours to clear the road as it is Puasa time and the people is not very efficient.

Luckily, I managed to call my regular taxi driver who drives my family in Pg around and also our neighbour in our Pg home. He made a few calls and got his taxi friend to send us back to the hotel after they have confirmation that the road was opened, which was pretty fast.

As I was also feeling sick ( running nose and headache ), it was a terrible experience if not for our taxi friend to the rescue. The earlier taxi driver was not much of a help and was more interested to get out of the jam and back to the shopping mall.

I now know how it is like to be stranded in a foreign place though I can go back to my parents place but all our luggage was in the hotel and we were flying off the following morning. Besides, I was sick and really wanted to lie on bed and nap for a while.

Well, like Jason said, it was an interesting experience and luckily, it ended well and we were back in the hotel in no time and shielded from the rain which continued till the next morning.

The good news was that my Dad medical results were good and he need not see the doctor until a year's time but I think I will aksed him to re-schedule his appointment to avoid this raining season!

The family was also quite successful in our shopping spree and watched two movies there, as it was so much cheaper.

Glad to be back in Spore, my home!

No comments: