Thursday, September 11, 2008

No Outside Food & Drinks !

Hi,

I was having a late breakfast & early lunch ( brunch ? ) with a friend in a coffee shop near my home this morning.

A car pulled up and the mother asked her young daughter to reserve the table next to ours. The Primary School girl ( she was in school uniform and from Jason's ex-school too ) came out of the car and sat at the table with a book and a bottle of water.

The coffee lady came to clear her table and pointed her to a sign that says " No Outside Food & Drinks ! ". She also spoke to the small girl but I did not catch what she was telling her.

I was a bit upset as the coffee lady could have waited for an adult to address the issue. I wonder whether the small girl felt intimidated and what is the impact on her. Did she share it with her mother when she came or she may be fearful from then onwards of bringing in a bottle of water into a coffee shop?

I was also carrying a bottle of water in my bag too but no intention to drink it in the coffee shop though. It is more for me when I am walking along the road or even on the bus as I am recovering from a sore throat and cold.

I think the coffee lady or waiters in restaturant should use their discretion and observe the customers before they decide on the actions to be taken.

My mother likes to drink from her own bottle of water as she does not take outside drinks or she would order a cup of warm water, if necessary. But she always keep a small bottle in her handbag and takes it out after the meal...... Yes, she could put me in a spot at times if we are dining in a restaurant..!

We should also give some allowances to children too, I think.

No comments: