Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Family Studio Potraits

I joined the Photography Society of Singapore in Dec 2013 to explore my interest in photography. 

In 2014, I have attended their 4 basic modules of Photography and one of them is Studio Lighting. I bought a simple studio lighting set, comprising of a main strobe light with a large reflector, backdrop set and the trigger. 

Ideally, I should have bought another 2 set of strobe lights for the background lighting but it would have exceeded my budget and the total cost would have been more than S$1,000.

When Jason was 12 years old, we went to a studio to take a set of glamour photos and the intention was to take a couple of family photos again when Jason turns 21 last year.




I discussed with my family that instead of going to a studio for another photo shoot, let me invest the cost of it into buying a simple studio lighting set and let me take the family photos myself. They were supportive and gave me the green light to proceed.

So this is my home studio setup that I have also used to submit my photos for my class assignment for Studio Lighting module assessment.


Luckily, I have a large enough hall or living room to set up the home studio. 

During Chinese New Year, we always take a family photo on the 1st day since we are dressed in our best outfits to go visiting and for the first time, I use the home studio setup to take a couple of family photos.



Well, I am glad to say that my family is happy with the results as shown above here.

The main difference between using a professional studio and my home studio setup is that we do not have a professional make-up staff to work on our faces and I have not applied much Photoshop or editing ( other than cropping ) to the images; ie we do not look so glamorous but more natural..... !

Unfortunately, Jason just completed his SAF exercise so he was very tanned from daily exposure to the sun.

I am still learning and playing with the studio lights now and then so I hope to show you better photos again soon.

No comments: