Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mobile Broadband in Penang, Malaysia

Hi,

I am now in Penang, visiting my parents.

As I have been making frequent trips here and wanted to stay connected through Internet, I have decided to explore the use of mobile broadband.

I managed to set it up after some research from my last trip and also follow-up with my Starhub ISP on purchasing a USB modem.

So here I am testing it by do a posting on this blog.

I only paid RM20 for 7 days of usage and it is going to end this afternoon but I can either renew it or change it to a daily usage for RM6 only.

Since I am leaving tomorrow afternoon, I will not renew it but will use the free WIFI at the airport instead to check my emails.

Well, using it for emails is definitely not a problem unless u have a large attachment then it is very slow or appeared to be hung.

Surfing the NET can be slow depending on the site; eg. I could not booked my next trip online as it was too slow and I dare not take the risk in payment.

I was able to msn but video conferencing was lagging to the extent that I cannot hear them but can see them only.

Anyway, for the price I am paying, I am happy to be able to send and receive emails and msn my family. The rest is just bonus to me.

I am using Celcom prepaid mobile broadband and I think it is the best at the moment.

In my research back in Spore, I actually bought a Starhub prepaid mobile broadband at S$99 that comes with a USB modem and S$12 value. I tried it in Spore and it worked beautifully and then I bought a Msian SIM card and inserted into the USB modem and it works too.

So if u are in a similar situation as I am, and need access to Internet for emails.... checkout this option.

I am looking forward to go home tomorrow afternoon as I have been here since last Tue.

Singapore is my home now .....

David

No comments: